July 8, 2010

Beach Reads

At the pool last weekend my friend said something that got me thinking.  I warned her that water was creeping up on the paperback she was reading, and she said, "That's okay, I actually love when my books get wet ... seriously."  I realized right then that she was right.  There's nothing better than a good pool or beach read novel with crinkled edges and water spots.  Others love the old library book smell.  They're the signals of a good book -- people have read it.  A lot!
I have a couple of favorite vacation reads that have been through hell and back, and still manage to survive the re-reading, borrowing and torture they've been through. If you're looking for a couple of no-nonsense romantic novels that don't claim to be anything more than the read-for-fun books they are, try out these two:


The Fling by Elda Minger is my all-time favorite book of this genre.  Based in Hawaii, it's a book that will wisk you away to a tropical place filled with emotion, romance, exotic destinations and plot twists.  It keeps you on your toes, but doesn't make you think too much.  I've read this one a few times -- it's kinda like rewatching your favorite movie.  It's a fantasy that never gets old.  Buy it for a penny used on Amazon.  It's worth the $0.01 + shipping! :)





Heartbreak Hotel by Jill Marie Landis is another book to read in a bikini and flip flops on the beach.  Actually, I might prefer reading this one on a balcony under the stars with a glass of wine.  It's a romance, but not really.  There's murder, a widow's walk, mystery, strangers-turned-lovers-turned-strangers again and a character map that's just detailed enough to keep you guessing.  Get it used on Amazon for under a dollar.  Apparently it's part of a trilogy of which I was not aware.  I'll check em out!





Telling the world (or even just your friends) your favorite books is risky business.  Reading a book, especially multiple times, takes true committment.  It's like peering into one's soul!  I hope you like these if you give them a chance.  Like I said, they're nothing groundbreakingly new that we haven't seen before.  They are fun.  Let me know what you think, and do share your favorite beachworthy novels.  I love me a good pageturner!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I've never actually read a romance novel, but have always wanted to, and Heartbreak Hotel seems like the perfect segue. Your post here actually inspired me to write one of my own...all about sizzling reading romance. Beach reads really are the best. I'm reading American Wife right now, which, while the subject matter is a more serious, it's immensely entertaining for me. I'm already about 200 pages in to the 500(ish), and I read the bulk of it over two days! Quality summer experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard of that one! While we were in East Hampton a couple weeks ago my sister-in-law searched every bookstore for it ... apparently it's in high demand. Let me know how it is!

    ReplyDelete