July 30, 2010

Coastal Ohio :: Cedar Point

Sounds exotic doesn't it?  The truth is, it's fabulous.  Plain and simple, Cedar Point is the best amusement park on the planet.  That's right, I said it. 

You pull into the parking lot, step out of the car and can already hear the screams of excitement, smell the wafting aroma of carnival foods and feel the warmth and moisture of coastal Lake Erie.  Now it officially feels like summer.

Ever since I can remember, my family and I would make the hour-long car trip to Sandusky every summer at least once.  It was a day we anxiously anticipated -- planning the perfect outfits, packing roadtrip games, stuffing our fanny-packs and breaking in our shoes in preparation of the miles we'd walk around the park.

As a kid, Cedar Point is an experience filled with "firsts" -- your first big kid ride; your first real roller coaster; your first box of authentic salt water taffy; your first live show, and the list goes on.  Before I was tall enough to ride the big rides, I distinctly remember riding the Jr. Gemini 12 times in a row -- the last time, with my hands up like a big kid.  From there, I never looked back. I'd be tall enough for the big coasters by the next summer. 

Cedar Point is a park filled with history.  I just wish I could have seen it at its earliest!

In the 1870s, you could pay local businessman, Louis Zistel, a measly 25 cents for a ride on his boat to the Sandusky peninsula, where he owned and operated a beer garden, bathhouse on the beach and dance floor.  According to old newspapers, Cedar Point "sailing and bathing parties" were all the rage back in the day.   The first coaster was built in 1892, towering at an amazing 25 feet high and reaching speeds up to 10 mph -- What a thrill!  To them, it was one of the first of its kind.  A true rarity.  From there, the park was transformed little by little into the park we know and love today.  It now boasts an incredible 17 roller coasters, and tons of other thrill rides!

We just made the trip to Cedar Point with 2 other couples and had a blast!  As adults, the park is where you'll experience a few more of life's "firsts" -- your first beer in a saloon; your first backache from a wooden coaster; your first case of whip lash -- not quite as glamourous, but still milestones nonetheless. 

You can't call yourself a thrill seeker or roller coaster lover without making the trip to Cedar Point at some time in your life.  Go now before you're too old to ride the coasters ... lest be doomed to the role of "mom or dad" who holds everyone's fanny packs, waiting for the youngsters by the ride photo stand.

If you do decide to test your thrillseeker-ness at Cedar Point, be sure that you can stay past sunset.  Some of the best views from the top of the coasters are at night.  The twinkling lights and laser show make for some awesome landscapes.  I promise you'll love it.

My personal Top 5 coasters:
1)  Millenium Force -- The line is usually long at any time of day, but I promise that the ride is worth it.  It's over 2 minutes of hills, curves, twists and speed. 
2)  Magnum -- Another steel coaster, this one is a classic.  In its day, it was the tallest/fastest coaster in the world.  Now, it's the one you can ride over and over taking silly pictures in the tunnels, since the wait is usually pretty short.
3)  Raptor -- You've gotta ride this one at night.  Your feet dangle, so take off your shoes and air out your feet!  Lots of twists, turns and upside-downs on this one.  Great!
4)  Gemini -- I'm a Gemini, so I might be biased, but this one is fun because it's differnet.  It's wooden, and runs side-by-side with another car, so you race!  The multiple quick hills will surprise you!
5)  Mean Streak -- If you asked me 5 years ago, I'd tell you I hate this ride.  It's bumpy, I'm not gonna lie, and with over 2-minutes of belly drops, it will make you wish you didn't just eat those cheese fries.  I can't stop smiling on this coaster for some reason.  Others hate it and I understand why.

There's always a new ride to try out each year, and the newest, the Maverick, does not disappoint.

Other great rides you should try:
1)  SkyHawk -- This is basically a gigantic swingset for 40 people.  It's a fan favorite, especially for kids.  Lots of belly-dropping good laughs.  Short lines. 
2)  Power Tower -- Both Up and Down are great, but Down is my personal favorite. 



Happy Coastering!

1 comment:

  1. Bubs, this reminds me of our last Cedar Point trip! I think it was the Gemini that did me in! Nice article!!

    ReplyDelete